Friday, February 26, 2010

Grocery Shopping

My friend (who I shall be rooming with next year) invited me to come home with her this weekend. Since I had been meaning to take her up on this offer for a while, I agreed -- her family sounded delightfully like mine, and she lived relatively close. And I really wanted to get off campus. You start to go stir-crazy after a while, when all you see are buildings that look like they belong at a juvenile detention center. Or some sort of weird modern art prison. >.< So, I began mentally preparing some foods that I could bring with me to eat, considering the most portable and nutrient-packed. But then, she spoke up.

"Oh, don't worry about it. My brother has a vegetarian friend. I'm sure they won't mind cooking vegan."

"Uhh, are you sure?" I say, looking skeptical -- for obvious reasons.

"Yeah, really. It'll be fine. My dad will enjoy the challenge."

So I hesitantly agreed, still prepared to bring my own food, just in case.

A few days later, she told me her dad was thrilled to be cooking for me, and was already looking up recipes for vegan waffles or french toast. I decided immediately that I liked this man very much.

"We'll be going shopping on Friday," she told me with a smile.

And shopping we did, indeed. It was an adventure. We spent seven minutes picking out the very best apples, ten minutes finding bread without honey or glycerides, and another few minutes finding pasta without eggs. I was so happy, I could have cried. Tomorrow, I will have hot food. And, I won't have to spend all day reading labels. Life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment